We’ve only owned our house for 12 days, but we’ve been hard at work from the get-go doing some small renovations and preparing it to be move-in ready. I’ve already learned so many valuable lessons in these early days, and I’ll share some of that wisdom here so that any of you who find yourselves owning a home in the future will know what to expect:
1- Think of all the times you’ve been to Lowe’s over the past year. Multiply this number by 2. This is how many times you can now plan to be at Lowe’s WEEKLY. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in one day.
2- Choosing paint colors in rentals used to be so fun. Now, choosing paint colors is stressful! Nothing seems right, and there’s a huge amount of self-induced pressure to get it perfect the first time around.
3- You start doing things you would never before do, such as Youtubing videos on “how to scrape plaster ceilings” and “how to paint over wood paneling.”
4- Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, and hours in the day pass by at warp speed whenever you are working on your new house. Meaning, whatever estimate you’ve made on the time it will take you to complete a project, add at least 3 hours.
5- You eat really random and weird things for meals while standing up in your kitchen at your current house so that a) you can quickly get over to the new house to work, and because b) you are scrimping and saving for the new house.
6- Finding the random things that the old owners have left behind is sometimes sweet, sometimes funny, and sometimes leaves you puzzled and wondering, “but…why?!?”
7- Priming is the worst. Bottom line.
8- Shopping for new furniture and decor is the best. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
9- You alternate between states of sheer excitement and awe that WE OWN THIS!! and sheer panic and worry because we…ownnnnnn…this.
10- Your project and to-do list grows with each passing day.
11- But, your house feels more like home with each passing day.
All in all, it’s been a really fun first week and a half. We’ve already put in a lot of sweat equity, and there’s so much more to go, but it’s already proving to be rewarding!
List accomplishments as of last post:
- I made this marinated flank steak on Friday and ending up using it in two different dinners this weekend, as a main with broccolini and sweet potatoes and in an Asian stir-fry. Very tasty.
- I finished book #4 Barrel Fever. So funny!
- I watched 1992’s Best Picture winner, Unforgiven. I’d seen it once a long time ago, so I wanted to rewatch it and it did not disappoint. I love anything directed by Clint Eastwood.
- I watched a sunrise! Like, really watched it. Last Saturday morning, I got up when Tim did for work, and I caught the most amazing sunrise through our kitchen window. I went out in the backyard with our dogs and soaked it up. Below is a photo, cameo by Gunner.
- Continued writing and snapping photos daily.